Tuesday, April 26, 2011

weekend getaway: vancouver bc

J & I decided to head up north to Vancouver BC after we made the decision to cancel our Japan trip. After the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear crisis hit Japan, we debated, thought long and hard and decided it was in our best interest to just stay put (for now). So off to Canada we went. Vancouver is no Tokyo, but it's a little gem of a city within driving distance with great food and a decent price (depending on the exchange rate).



Unlike many of my previous trips to Vancouver that were consumed of eating, shopping and more eating, we decided to venture out a bit and see the Vancouver Aquarium. I've got a soft spot in my heart for aquariums and have an almost child-like fascination when I'm there. And like a child I devour every word of random knowledge the little signs or trainers tell me. In short, the Vancouver Aquarium was a pleasant one. The buluga whales are what captivated my interest first, but they turned out to be a little boring. My favorite were the dolphins. Their spunky high energy and crazy acrobatics served to be the most entertaining and something I didn't expect to see outside of Sea World.



I planned our trip with intricate detail centered around food. Where we wanted to eat dictated the majority of the trip. First we ate at Sun Sui Wah in Richmond for dim sum, but we were starved and I forgot to take any pictures. Then for dinner we ate at Vij's for Indian food. We ordered the samosas, braised short ribs and pork tenderloin. It was amazing! The flavors were so well balanced in spice, flavor and texture, J & I were so full but could have devoured another dish. The service is top notch, upon seating we were greeted with chai, then tray pass of various appetizers, every thing I tried was just as delicious as the last. The next day we at breakfast at Medina Cafe, had some sinful waffles that were so yummy and crispy they tasted like waffle-croissants. Then off to lunch at Japa Dog, for a few Japanese Style hot dogs, we got the turkey miso, katsu dog and okonomi. All of which we're tasty, but my favorite was the okonomi.


All in all a delicious and much needed weekend getaway from Seattle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment