Wednesday, August 3, 2011

craving the islands- kalua pork


Lately it feels as though everyone's been talking about Hawaii, whether it's heading there for vacation, wishing they were on vacation or talking about their favorite island foods. With all this talk, it got me missing Hawaii and one of my favorite dishes- kalua pork. Kalua pork is just one of those things that hits the spot, its warm, its smokey, its salty and its delicious. Since I couldn't jet off to the islands or build my own imu (in my apartment) I found this easy recipe and made a few modifications. With only four ingredients and a slow cooker, this recipe couldn't be more simplistic. 


Ingredients: 
3 lb pork shoulder blade roast (mine were sliced because that's all the store had)
1 tbsp liquid mesquite smoke
3/4 tbsp coarse sea salt
1/4 head of cabbage, shredded

Directions:
Place pork in the crock pot and stab it all over with the tip of a knife. Rub sea salt all over pork. Drizzle the liquid smoke all over and set crock pot to high; cook for about 10 hours. Until the meat falls apart when probed. 


Turn off the slow cooker and shred pork with tongs or two forks. Then heat a pan on medium high heat and add shredded pork, pan fry for about two minuets then add a few handfuls of cabbage. 



Mix together and cover for 3-5 minuets, until cabbage is tender and slightly translucent. Depending on the size of your pan you may need to do this in batches.


Remove from heat, plate, serve with steamed rice and enjoy a little taste of the islands! 


5 comments:

  1. oh how i miss hawaii as well! kalua pork is so yum! your photos are making me hungry. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Hawaii, but you've completely given me a craving for the islands with this post!
    xox,
    Cee
    http://cocoandvera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two thumbs up! This is a must try as soon as I get settled into my apt and have my slower cooker readily available!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks super easy! I've got to bookmark this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ono kine grinds! Takes me back to da kine.

    ReplyDelete